Followers

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Stillmeadow

I have been a fan of Gladys Taber for many years. I think I first read some of her books when they were re-released in the 1980s. I have been on the look out for her books to add to my personal library and finally I was able to obtain one via Paperback Swap. It is from the 1980s and when I sent a very fervent thank you to the PBS member who sent it to me, she says she found one of the older copies of Stillmeadow Daybook so she decided to share this one on the Swap.  I am trying to savor it but find myself reading and reading!

Gladys Taber was born in 1899 to a family who was on the move. Her father was a mining engineer so the family lived all around the country. She went to college at Wellesley and taught creative writing at Columbia University. In addition to her teaching she wrote columns for Ladies Home Journal and Family Circle.  While living in New York City, she and her husband were friends with the Mayers. The two young families decided to purchase a country home together in order to give their children the opportunity to enjoy a world outside the city.  Stillmeadow was that farm and through the years, Gladys wrote of their days in this beautiful place.

Thanks to Susan Branch for this pretty picture of Stillmeadow. Susan did a blog about her opportunity to visit Stillmeadow when she was there to give a lecture to the Friends of Gladys Taber. The home is still owned by the Taber family but it is not open to the public. It is located in Southbury Connecticut.

I love this picture of Gladys. I think she would be a fun friend. In addition to her cats, she raised Cocker Spaniels and Irish Setters.  While some see Stillmeadow as idyllic, Gladys did not hesitate to relate the good and the bad points of living in the country.

I am still on the look out for Ms Taber's other works...it is like a treasure hunt but I keep on the prowl for them!!

8 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I don't think I have any of her books but I'll keep an eye open for them. I go to books sales and it's fun to hunt for authors. Enjoy your day! Sweet hugs!

Balisha said...

When our library built a new building, some of the old books were sold...and I was able to pick up a couple of her books there.I have several of her books. She has been a favorite of mine for many years. I used to enjoy her magazine contributions. I wish I had kept some of those old magazines. I reread her books often....usually following a season of the year. They share a bookshelf with some of Susan's books.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for coming by to say Hello, Balisha! Glad to meet another Gladys Tabernacle fan!

Cranberry Morning said...

That sounds so interesting! Stillmeadow looks so idyllic, really - like a Father Knows Best type of home. And yes, she does look like a fun person.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I am a huge Gladys Taber fan and I especially love her books about Stillmeadow. I'm trying to collect most of her books and recently ordered a few from AbeBooks and they arrived promptly. They are, of course, used books but I looked for the ones in very good condition. Their prices were reasonable, too.
I'm visiting from a recommendation I saw on another blog. You have a nice blog and I'll return. It's nice to meet you!

Terri D said...

I am not familiar with her, but have downloaded a lot of books on my Kindle and she may be there among the 400 or so. I'll have to do a search for her. Thanks for telling us about her!

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes Ladies, I think we would all be friends with Gladys Taber. I had to smile as I saw autocorrect changed Taber to Tabernacle in my response to Balisha. I should have caught that one!! Cheryl, I will have to check out that site!! I want more Stillmeadow Books. I am like a greedy little child!!

Joyce F said...

I am another Gladys Taber fan and own quite a few of her books. Another place you might want to look is alibris.com